Should we split codec files?

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Sat Sep 1 00:50:32 UTC 2007

Hello all,

I am using Gutsy Tribe 5. I was just sent a wmv file from somebody and
was finally able to try the fancy Gnome-app-install multimedia codec
installer.

The list showed me two entries, both of which apparently contain
codecs for large numbers of formats.

It occurred to me that, to play my one file, I was going to have to
install codecs for far more formats than I wanted to play. More
importantly, I was going to have to install far more patent-breaching
files than I theoretically had to. In addition, I have cruft installed
that I don't need.

In the past, it wouldn't have been a great idea to have numerous
packages, as it would make installing them more difficult. Now that
the process is automatic, it makes sense to me that we should enable
the user to install (and infringe patents) to the minimum extent
necessary.

Splitting codecs would also have the advantage that a dedicated codec
package (this is an example, please don't shoot me for inaccuracy)
like fluendo's mp3 decoder would get a fair run in the popularity
contest against the composite packages. At the moment, everyone has to
install Gstreamer-ugly for so many types of file. This means that the
(more legal, as I understand it) fluendo codec never gets installed.
That, in turn, skews the "popularity contest" results when somebody is
deciding which codec to install when their mp3 doesn't play.

We could always create meta-packages with the same names as the old packages.

Does anybody else think that this would be worth the effort?

Am I better to create a spec or to post bugs against gstreamer-ugly etc.?

Thanks in advance,

Aaron