Checking /usr/local/ before upgrading

Pär Andersson paran at lysator.liu.se
Mon Oct 29 20:46:54 UTC 2007

On Sunday 28 October 2007 15.27.21 Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> "Fergal Daly" <fergal at esatclear.ie> writes:
> > When should anything go in /usr/local/{bin,lib}?
>
> E.g. when you are not wanting to upgrade the system later.
> I think of (virtual) machines here, that are installed and configured
> automatically.

That is really wrong, placing something stupid under for
example /usr/local/bin should really not break upgrades or any other system
software. Please read chapter "9.1.2 Site-specific programs" of the Debian
Policy Manual, Fergal provided a link and a quote of the most relevant part
in his e-mail.

I am not saying that /usr/local/$PACKAGE is a bad idea, I use something very
similar on several systems. But this is not a standard or required method for
installing site-specific programs.

Off course Ubuntu is not Debian so there might have been a decision that this
does not apply to Ubuntu. If this is the case then I apologize.

regards

Pär Andersson