Checking /usr/local/ before upgrading

Reinhard Tartler siretart at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 28 12:00:24 UTC 2007

"Fergal Daly" <fergal at esatclear.ie> writes:

>> I'd really suggest to install your special libraries, local software
>> etc. either to /usr/local/$PACKAGE or /srv/local/$PACKAGE or somewhere
>> else. You can use environment variables or rpath to make them work.
>
> So when should anything go in /usr/local?
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s-sysvinit
>
> contains this paragraph
>
> "However, because /usr/local and its contents are for exclusive use of
> the local administrator, a package must not rely on the presence or
> absence of files or directories in /usr/local for normal operation."

You have correctly quoted me. I suggested to install /usr/local/$PACKAGE
instead of /usr/local. This means for a package called 'foo', you would
use `configure --prefix=/usr/local/foo` instead not using any prefix.

Or you just install it in your ~ `configure --prefix=$HOME/local`. Or
somewhere else.

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4