A tricky situation in malone bug 60995

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Fri Oct 26 03:21:30 UTC 2007

Op maandag 22-10-2007 om 07:19 uur [tijdzone -0400], schreef Scott
Kitterman:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 07:13:52 +0200 Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> wrote:
> >Op zondag 21-10-2007 om 11:28 uur [tijdzone -0400], schreef Scott
> >Kitterman:
> >> IIRC, there were a number of open bugs against Firefox regarding
> >> incorrect loss of focus and so what often happened was that you could
> >> lose focus in a text box without taking action to do so and then end
> >> up paging back when you thought you were editing text.
> >
> >So GNOME should disable all keys that can close windows or otherwise
> >cause data loss because some bugs *elsewhere* might cause the current
> >window to lose focus?  (And there are many more such bugs in GNOME than
> >in Firefox!)
> >
> Before this change was implemented, I routinely lost data due to
> inadvertent loss of focus and backspace.  Since then I don't.  That's the
> bottom line for me.

I never experienced a loss-of-focus bug in Firefox and would like to
read some bug reports about them?

So, I never lost data that way, but I *have* lost data by pressing
Ctrl-W (delete word on the console, close tab in Firefox), Firefox
crashes(!), accidentally closing the wrong tab with the mouse or
accidentally clicking a link on the same page, etc.  I will accept this
backspace behaviour once all the other similar "problems" are "fixed".

To start with, I suggest we disable the Firefox crash functionality,
that would be much more useful than fixing a minority's pet
peeve...  ;-)

--
Jan Claeys