UI for backports usage

João Pinto lamego.pinto at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 14:09:12 UTC 2007

Hello,
about the UI, there is already a specification which cover most of the
requirements:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThirdPartyApt
The pinning support is described but not implemented, I did exchange several
mails with the GApti author in order to motivate him to implement the
pinning, I have failed, despite of the specification I was unable to
convince that there maybe a good reason to pin a "main/universe" package .

GApti is available on Gutsy universe, it would need be extended with the
pinning support and an "unpinning" interface.

Please note that I did already some research on this subject:
http://wiki.getdeb.net/Software_Distribution

The https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DynamicMirrorDecisions is also a very important
detail, you must guarantee that the UI will pick the correct version (the
latest), with dynamic mirror the server side component will know/check for
synchronized mirrors and return it.

Thanks

--
João Pinto