A tricky situation in malone bug 60995

Nicolas Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 18:40:32 BST 2007

On 10/20/07, Martin Olsson <mnemo at minimum.se> wrote:
> I really really would like to see "BACKSPACE as BACK" working in
> Firefox. I think this is the kind of polish bug that makes a lot of
> people stay away from ubuntu (beyond hardware problems of course).
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox/+bug/60995
>
> Is there any established process for dealing with this type of
> situation. The bug is very very old so I think some kind of "decision"
> needs to be made on the issue. Maybe some kind of ubuntu board or some
> benevolent dictator person or someone could arrange some voting or whatever?

I installed Ubuntu just yesterday, and backspace not mapping to 'back
in history' is the main annoying thing I found. It happened once or
twice (in a year) that I went one page back when I wanted to delete
text, because I wasn't focused on the right control. But I'd
definitely choose the slight possibility of dataloss in that
particular case, over having backspace duplicate the page up key
(they're close enough on the keyboard!) instead of Alt-Left (which is
a really uncomfortable keystroke).

The other Firefox-related annoying thing that works on Windows but not
on Ubuntu is on the address bar: Ctrl-backspace to delete words, or
Ctrl-Shift-arrow to select words. It seems to search for spaces only.
On Firefox under Windows it also stops on periods, slashes, etc. But
it's definitely a Firefox feature, *not* a standard Windows feature
that happens with all text fields.

--
Nicolas