Appropriateness of posts to this list (Was Re: evince crash)

(=?utf-8?q?=60=60-=5F-=C2=B4=C2=B4?=) -- Fernando Ubuntu at bugabundo.net
Mon Oct 22 00:05:17 UTC 2007


On Tuesday 09 October 2007 05:28:20 Todd Deshane wrote:
> On 10/8/07, Aaron Whitehouse <lists at whitehouse.org.nz> wrote:
> > > It seems to me that if users, developers and testers that are
> > > following this list care about a particular issue or bug they can
> > > raise it here. If it generates no discussion and others simply ignore,
> > > then it is probably not a big issue.
> >
> > I see your point. The same rationale, however, would support sending a
> > report of each new bug filed to the list. Everyone on the list *could*
> > ignore anything that they weren't interested in.
> >
> > > Also, the fact that the release is close, to me means that any major
> > > bugs should pass by more eyes and get more attention.
> >
> > Most people tend to see their bugs as major. I don't mean to lessen
> > the frustration of your plight, but not being able to view a pdf on a
> > password restricted site isn't the most major bug that I have seen
> > filed against Gutsy. In some ways there is a problem with the way
> > users can't rate the importance of their own bugs. I filed a bug about
> > suspend locking up my laptop every time it is used and one about the
> > default spellchecker for NZers being en_US instead of en_UK. Clearly
> > one is more important than the other, but they have the same
> > "importance" prior to being triaged. The counter-argument, I assume,
> > is that normal people can't be trusted to objectively rate the
> > importance of their bugs.
> >
> Agreed. But, in that light who is brave enough to raise any bugs or issues?
> 
> There are a lot of issues that get discussed that don't interest me,
> but I just don't read into them as much. I do see your point, and it
> is a good one, the signal to noise raise needs to be high. So, I
> haven't raised other things I have found, since I didn't think they
> would be interesting to a general audience or they are seemingly
> obvious bugs that everyone should see. This one, being that it is an
> app that most people will use and may be hitting an edge case and it
> may just have a chance of being fixed before release.
> 
> > I have grave issues with Gutsy... especially seeing as it is about a
> > week from release. I have tested each milestone since pre-Breezy for
> > the LaptopTesting reports and Gutsy is the least stable for me yet.
> > That is largely, as I said earlier, a result of -Intel and Compiz. I
> > filed my reports against each package and they are still sitting there
> > untouched. So perhaps you are right that I should have pestered the
> > list instead. I just don't see it as being a good policy.
> >
> 
> I think your issues are probably more important for a list such as
> this. I know that there was requests at some point for experiences and
> feelings about compiz.
> 
> 
> > To be fair, I have now succeeded in generating more noise than the
> > recent bug "awareness raising" has!
> >
> 
> This list has been pretty good about generating good content. Maybe I
> was too quick to fire of the evince crash email. I just wonder where
> the line should be? For example, some things should probably go to the
> users list, but would they get lost in the noise there?
> 
> And coming close to a release was another reason. I still think this
> list has been quiet considering that.
> 
> Regards,
> Todd
> 
> 
> > Regards,
> >
> > Aaron
> >
> 

What we need is a DIGG alike system for LP.
Either by counting the number of subscribers/comments, thumbs up/down (digg alike), or an hybrid way of all this.
What do you guys think?

-- 
BUGabundo  :o)
(``-_-´´)	http://Ubuntu.BUGabundo.net
Linux user #443786    GPG key 1024D/A1784EBB
My new micro-blog @ http://BUGabundo.net
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: signature.asc
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 189 bytes
Desc: This is a digitally signed message part.
URL: <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/attachments/20071022/b834d94b/attachment.pgp>


More information about the Ubuntu-devel-discuss mailing list