GetDeb Project

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 16 20:03:17 UTC 2007

Le mardi 16 octobre 2007 à 20:43 +0100, João Pinto a écrit :

> Is the timeline similar ? Are the users motivated ? Do backports reach
> a broad audience ?

The backports are part of the Ubuntu infrastructure, supported and can
be enabled using the Ubuntu tools

> What is "Properly" for Getdeb, may not be "Properly" for Ubuntu, or
> the way around.

Right so Ubuntu doesn't encourage users using getdeb because they don't
have the same standards

>  some packages, a few packages just as "Properly" packaged as grabbing
> the source and compiling, however they were created by someone which
> understands how to properly compile linux software.

That doesn't mean it'll work correctly and doesn't conflict with
official packages

> GetDeb is the only "thing" which provides latest versions and brand
> new software that people need for the "current" Ubuntu version, on a
> user friendly fashion, with screenshots, video links, user comments,
> etc, what is confusing is your continuously comparison between getdeb
> and a plain repository.
> If you do believe backports at their current state are sufficient,
> than, please promote it, make it appealing for the users and spread
> it. There is so many software to cover, and we are so few.

Why don't you join the official backport team and do this work there
rather than encouraging users to install packages that are likely to
create issues?

> Do you have any evidence to believe that we are harming any system in
> any way may other than for minor QA failures ? (We did corrupt the
> mime cache of a few systems, that was a serious issue) .

No, that's not something we can know from a summary mail, we would need
to look at the packages you are distributing. Do you have a bug tracker
where users can send issue they have using the getdeb versions?

Sebastien Bacher