4 More days...

David MacKinnon blaedd at google.com
Mon Oct 15 15:04:42 UTC 2007

On 10/15/07, John Dong <john.dong at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is not very constructive. All of us here put our heart and effort
> into the distro and comments like this don't help. Exactly what things
> are bug-ridden that need attention? It's one thing to raise awareness of
> last-minute important bugs, but this seems to be nothing more than
> flamebait

Off the top of my head, there's a cryptsetup bug (arguable a udev bug)
that means you have about a 50/50 chance of actually running the
command when dealing with LUKS partitions, which kind of makes crypted
root hard. There's the decision to ship with a kernel that breaks
suspend/resume on any machine using ATI proprietary drivers (and
Nvidia I think, but by that point we'd rolled a custom kernel to fix
the Ubuntu breakage). X uses the incorrect driver for a number of
machines with Intel chipsets (vesa, vs intel) which breaks VT's.

I think there were some others, but it's about 1am here, and don't
have my list handy.

And yes, most of if not all of these are in launchpad, many have been
sitting idle for weeks, some marked high priority. Some have been
decided (apparently) not to be fixed. Some have patches attached that
while not always elegant, are workarounds at least.

-David