regular fsck runs are too disturbing

John Dong john.dong at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 14:17:27 UTC 2007

A partial check doesn't make sense with the current fsck tools AFAIK. We
should do a full filesystem check if anything, and if a user decides to abort
it, it's his choice.

There should be a graphical or otherwise easily accessible way of re-touching
the /forcefsck flag so that users can choose which bootup to do a check on.
Another "idea" is on LVM-capable systems to take a snapshot of important
filesystems while they are unmounted or read-only then fsck the snapshot
device as a background task. If any serious errors are detected in the
snapshot, then schedule an uncancelable boot scan.

I agree with everyone who says that the current fsck experience is a blemish
to Ubuntu's general user-friendliness, and also that we should not be entirely
removing the regular fsck as it catches hardware irregularities and potential
software bugs with ext3.

John