regular fsck runs are too disturbing - and current approach does not work very well in detecting defects!

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Sat Oct 6 23:34:54 UTC 2007

Op woensdag 03-10-2007 om 15:35 uur [tijdzone -0400], schreef Phillip
Susi:
> Jan Claeys wrote:
> > About doing "live" fsck & defrag on a rw filesystem, IIRC Windows NT has
> > a system API for doing e.g. atomic "swap 2 sectors" operations; does
> > 'linux', or any of the filesystem drivers for it, support something like
> > that?
>
> I think XFS or JFS supports online defragmenting, but no other work
> has been done in that area due to lack of need.  Even the offline
> defrag package has not been maintained for the last 10 years due to
> lack of interest.  When you don't have a silly problem with
> fragmentation, there  is no motivation to solve the non problem.

Ext2/ext3 suffer from fragmentation too, when available disk space gets
low enough.

But I think a similar API could be used to mark & move bad sectors or
"lost" sectors, and that's more related to this discussion...

--
Jan Claeys