Launchpad bug statuses

Christian Robottom Reis kiko at async.com.br
Wed Oct 3 15:36:23 UTC 2007

On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 11:32:25PM +0200, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> > So this is interesting, because ideally you want some record that the
> > bug has been forwarded and fixed upstream.
>
> What I want is the bug to be fixed ;) I don't care that much whether
> there's a record or not (it may be good to have it, but won't hurt if it
> isn't there).

Well..

> >     - Third, a question: why don't you report the bug upstream anyway,
> >       and update its status manually? Too much work?
>
> This looks like the second question, but yes, why should I report it in
> SF if I ping the upstream author, he takes a look at the code, and fixes
> the issue? It looks useless to me.

The software engineer in me does appreciate it when he finds that
changes in the code are attached to a bug report which I can look at
later to try and figure out rationale, timing and responsibility. But I
agree that we need to be practical and I'm still not sure what sort of
UI would help you there. Maybe if the bug UI was just faster to
use (i.e. full-ajax direct manipulation) this would be less of a
problem.

> >     - Fourth, would it help is Launchpad made it really easy for you to
> >       post the bug to SourceForge, perhaps opening the bug-filing page
> >       with all your details filled in and just waiting for you to
> >       submit?
>
> I think so. That would be really useful, since that would save a lot of
> time (not that reporting a bug takes one hour, but when you report a
> lot, then there's a big difference). This would have a big risk, though,
> which is that there could be 'spam' in upstream's bug trackers, but this
> could be avoided by only letting people in the Distribution Bug Contact
> team to report bugs upstream using that method.

Well, my initial thoughts would be that you would need to have an
account in the upstream bugtracker to actually forward the bug. This is
complicated for trackers such as debbugs, but would address this concern
for most other bugtrackers. It is somewhat cumbersome, but not too
cumbersome for Seb's b.g.o use case or sourceforge.net in general, since
you only need one account for the N projects hosted there.
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3376 0125