Launchpad bug statuses

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Oct 2 22:18:18 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 02 October 2007 17:32, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> Christian Robottom Reis wrote:

> >     - Fourth, would it help is Launchpad made it really easy for you to
> >       post the bug to SourceForge, perhaps opening the bug-filing page
> >       with all your details filled in and just waiting for you to
> >       submit?
>
> I think so. That would be really useful, since that would save a lot of
> time (not that reporting a bug takes one hour, but when you report a
> lot, then there's a big difference). This would have a big risk, though,
> which is that there could be 'spam' in upstream's bug trackers, but this
> could be avoided by only letting people in the Distribution Bug Contact
> team to report bugs upstream using that method.
>
> Also, I'm sure Sebastien will thank you if you implement this to forward
> bugs to bugzilla.gnome.org ;)

This all presumes that the reporter knows enough to:

1.  Not kick Ubuntu specific package bugs upstream or to Debian.

2.  Direct Debian packaging bugs to Debian.

3.  And as a result only report real upstream bugs to the upstream.

I agree that if this feature is to be offered, it ought to have some kind of
restriction on it.  Since anyone can sign up to be a bug contact for a
package, I'm not sure that's the right thing to key on though.

Scott K