regular fsck runs are too disturbing

Waldemar Kornewald wkornew at freenet.de
Mon Oct 1 08:25:33 UTC 2007

On 10/1/07, Luke Yelavich <themuso at themuso.com> wrote:
> So what happens when users install a distro that either doesn't check their filesystem
> regularly, or attempts to check in background, which can't be completed due to system activity
> etc, and they loose their data? I'd be thinking that having the filesystem periodically checked
> would be a good thing, to ensure my data stays in tact.

Look, this check doesn't just take three seconds. Nobody would
complain in that case. On some machines it's taking an awful 40min!!!
I see this check twice a month. I lose an incredible amount of
productivity because of this check. Actually, I'd lose less time by
creating regular backups and restoring a backup in case of a problem.

Millions of XP machines are running just fine without this check. Do
you think any desktop user will try to understand why this check is
needed? Would you accept your car needing a 20min self-check before
you can drive, especially if you're late? Would you even care why this
check is needed if you see that some other car doesn't do this check
or has a more efficient checking method?

Seriously, the solution that Ubuntu has chosen is just an ugly hack
because nobody wanted to implement automatic checks in the background,
but there are quite a few people (as you can also see in the bug
reports) who don't like this situation. In any serious company that
cares about its users and the user experience the solution would be
very simple: Either it's implemented correctly or not at all.

Regards,
Waldemar Kornewald