Our best foot forward

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Wed Nov 21 01:52:07 UTC 2007

Op maandag 19-11-2007 om 19:50 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Patrick:
> The problem is it's not obvious to the first time user. I could carry
> out usability studies with friends and family but really I don't think
> anyone is ready to set up an nfs, ftp or samba server in the first
> 10-20 hours. A usability study beyond a few hours is not practical for
> family and friends.

Any service that opens one or more ports to the internet is a potential
danger to the security of the system, and taking your time to understand
how it works (at least up to some level) is an essential part of being
able to configure it properly IMNSHO.

That doesn't mean a GUI to configure services would be bad, but an
easy-to-use GUI will often make it easier to have an insecure system as
a result.  Preventing this from happening is maybe possible, but
certainly not easy!

--
Jan Claeys