Our best foot forward

randall randall at songshu.org
Tue Nov 20 06:51:06 UTC 2007

Patrick wrote:
> indeed I am unsure of how to contribute.
>
> It would seem that I could take the prize for both the longest and most
> poorly written emails as the feedback I am receiving is disconnected
> from the message I was sending.
>
> To summarize my long winded emails:
>
> Ubuntu is the ultimate OS for the power user, programmer and System
> administrator.This is what needs to be promoted.
>
> Something like a helper script is badly needed but a post installation
> script is basically the same thing, no need to re-invent the wheel, it's
> better to improve whats already there.
>
> Most post installation scripts are turned off by default, they should
> not be.
>
> The post installation scripts are not very accessible. The configure
> option should also be available under the right click in synaptic.
>
> The post installation scripts should have more of a tutorial element to
> them.
>
> The post installation scripts should be divided up between programmers
> and tutorial writers.
>
> The tutorial element should be written by users that were recipients of
> the first ones, not by long time Linux experts who are disconnected from
> the experiences of a new user.
>
> I want to help write these post installation script tutorials.
>
> I apologize for contradicting myself on the documentation issue. The
> documentation that is written is already excellent. The only problem
> with it is that some users, like me, may get confused as to what is
> Ubuntu specific and what is Linux specific, they are not always the same
> as my manual compiling experience taught me. A Synaptic like search
> repository within the OS that pointed outwards to Ubuntu specific online
> documentation would be helpful.
>
> -Patrick
>

> Matthew Paul Thomas wrote:
>
>> On Nov 20, 2007, at 1:50 PM, Patrick wrote:

>>> We should be putting forth what Ubuntu can do that Windows cannot. It
>>> is the ability to set up so many services and customize so many
>>> things that makes it amazing. Most of this still needs to be done at
>>> the terminal though. People need to be able to use it's rich set of
>>> features without so much suffering.
>>>
>>> All of my suggestions seem to be rebuffed and the general feedback I am
>>> getting is that everything is already the way it needs to be.
>>>
>> I think the problem is that you're unclear about how you want to
>> contribute.
>>
>> You proposed helper terminal scripts for setting up server functions,
>> and then you said perhaps it wasn't a good idea after all.
>>
>> You said the post-install scripts should be better, and Onno invited
>> you to report bugs about specific problems. Have you?
>>
>> You said the help and support could be better, I invited you to join
>> the documentation team, and then you said "I don't think it is lacking
>> in terms of the casual user" and "I am not having trouble searching
>> for documentation".

> [...]
it is true, Linux has everything you need if you don´t mind to edit some
configuration files and spent a day or two to figure out the things you
want to accomplish OR if somebody already made a simple interface for
you to use it or pre-configured it.
Ubuntu is made with the ¨no-brainer klik-klak power-user¨ in mind and i
must say they already came a long way when it comes to the desktop but
it is still lacking in the server department.

if you want to start contributing you will need to find a small personal
itch, something that bothers you and you need to see improved,
you were talking about setting up vsftpd as a first troublesome
experience so that would be a nice start, some script might do it indeed
but maybe it would be good to have a look at ebox for example that is in
development to become a part ubuntu (think they are working for Hardy),
it is something that will strengthen the easy ubuntu experience on the
server side, so you might want to have a look there, is FTP already a
standard option in ebox?