Our best foot forward

Matthew Paul Thomas mpt at canonical.com
Tue Nov 20 02:36:51 UTC 2007

On Nov 20, 2007, at 1:50 PM, Patrick wrote:
> We should be putting forth what Ubuntu can do that Windows cannot. It
> is the ability to set up so many services and customize so many things
> that makes it amazing. Most of this still needs to be done at the
> terminal though. People need to be able to use it's rich set of
> features without so much suffering.
>
> All of my suggestions seem to be rebuffed and the general feedback I am
> getting is that everything is already the way it needs to be.

I think the problem is that you're unclear about how you want to
contribute.

You proposed helper terminal scripts for setting up server functions,
and then you said perhaps it wasn't a good idea after all.

You said the post-install scripts should be better, and Onno invited
you to report bugs about specific problems. Have you?

You said the help and support could be better, I invited you to join
the documentation team, and then you said "I don't think it is lacking
in terms of the casual user" and "I am not having trouble searching for
documentation".

You suggested running usability tests, I invited you to do just that,
and then you said it would be difficult to find representative test
subjects. (True, but it's just as difficult for almost anyone else.)

Forgive us if we're running out of ideas for how you can help. :-)
Writing mailing list messages does not, in itself, improve Ubuntu.

Cheers
--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/