apt-cacher in main + apt-zeroconf

Sam Tygier samtygier at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Nov 15 12:47:35 UTC 2007

Kevin Fries wrote:
> I am not sure it needs to be moved. But, what would be totally cool is
> if the installer scanned the local network on install and configured
> apt-cacher in sources.list instead of the normal repos by default when
> if finds a server.  That would be a terrific usability upgrade.

could apt-zeroconf[0] be installed and enabled by default.

"distributed apt-cacher for local networks implemented in Python. It's called apt-zeroconf since we use avahi for automatically finding other apt-zeroconf instances on the LAN, similar to Apple's Rendezvous/Bonjour/Zeroconf technology."

sam

[0] http://trac.phidev.info/trac/wiki/AptZeroconf