Our best foot forward

Patrick optomatic at rogers.com
Thu Nov 15 01:44:10 UTC 2007

I see where you are going with this and I will make a bug report if I
encounter this sort of trouble again.

I hope I am not "beating this to death now" but I need to continue.

Being a dumbass I have another perspective to offer. Early on I
encountered these post installation questions but I did not answer them
correctly and of course I did not receive good results. Aside from a
total package uninstall/reinstall I still do not know how to
reinitialize these post installation scripts. These scripts assume too
much user knowledge. I still feel that a script that could be called
again and again with ease would be better and one that included helpful
hints to get through the first pass would be best, granted that some of
these post installation scripts have helpful tips. A script that could
be copied and pasted might also provide an entire overview of the
process so that the user would know exactly what was going on and would
one day not need this crutch.

I am really going out on a limb here but does anyone think that a menu
within Synaptic to reconfigure Apps would be useful? This might be
difficult but a built-in repository of helper scripts that could be
viewed or run might be helpful.

There could also be a section sorted by task not by program.

Again to recount the adventures of a fool, namely me, here is another
experience.

I spent hours reading how to manually compile programs with Linux.
Notice I said Linux not Ubuntu. I don't remember which distros the
tutorials were using as examples but they were not Ubuntu. I spent hours
and hours pulling out my hair trying to figure out why I could not
compile in Ubuntu. Finally I found out that Ubuntu does not ship with
the tools to compile software.

For example if the script repository had a title like:
Would you like to manually compile software?

and a script like this:

#! /bin/bash

echo "Ubuntu does not ship with all the tools you need to compile
software, we need to install these tools"
Sudo apt-get install build-essential

echo "now you need to find your download directory and extract the tarball"
echo "you can simply right click on it and choose extract here"
echo "now cd to your new extracted directory in the terminal and type make"
echo "the script will search for the required dependencies, you must
install all of them before you continue"

etc, etc, etc

A package manager cannot help with this sort of thing. People sometimes
don't know why Totem does not work out-of-the-box. A helper script could
explain this and point them to an outside source to download the require
codecs separately. Again this is not something that the packaging people
have overlooked but they are common problems. A solution is needed. I
bet the community cold built such a repository of scripts quite quickly.
I am unfamiliar with synaptic code and I am not sure how hard it would
be to integrate these in-Patrick