Password-protect grub interactive commands (was: rationale of root access from boot)

Nicolas Deschildre ndeschildre at
Mon Nov 12 10:04:33 UTC 2007

On Nov 12, 2007 2:15 PM, Scott James Remnant <scott at> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-11-10 at 14:06 +0800, Nicolas Deschildre wrote:

> For the simplest installations, GRUB could perhaps read /etc/shadow and
> accept any user's password -- but that would be error-prone, open to
> exploit, and wouldn't support the kinds of installations you talk about
> later in this thread: corporate environments which often use centralised
> authentication.

You're right, I overlooked that. And adding Jan Claeys' good remark on
the keyboard layout, I'm now convinced that password protecting grub
is not good by default.

Thanks for your comments.

This is EOT for me.