A Wine-like compatibility layer to run Mac OS X programs on Linux?

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Fri Nov 9 10:05:22 UTC 2007

Am 09.11.2007 um 02:28 schrieb Greg K Nicholson:

> Is a compatibility layer (like Wine) to run Mac OS X programs on Linux
> feasible? Does one already exist?

I'm aware of about 5 emulators (PearPC, mac-on-linux, Basilisk,
SheepShaver, qemu) having various extents of Mac OS and Mac OS X
support.

Then, there's GNUstep with it's Cocoa compatible API: Porting Mac OS
X apps to Linux is possible.

> It seems to me, the uneducated layman, that it should be *easier* to
> make a Mac compatibility layer (“Mine”?) than one for Windows
> since: [...]

Don't forget all the CoreFoundation, CoreAudio, CoreWhatever and
Carbon stuff. Many Apps use Java, AppleScript, Ruby, Python (all
Apple-tweaked and with bindings to other technologies). Even "pure"
Cocoa apps peek into other technologies here and there. From the API
perspective, Mac OS X is just a big mess.

So, a tightly integrated hardware-level emulator should be possible,
but at an API level, I'd see a huuuuge effort.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/