rationale of root access from boot

Oystein Viggen oysteivi at tihlde.org
Sun Nov 4 10:35:52 UTC 2007

* ["Nicolas Deschildre"]

> My point was not about the parameter itself. My point was about the
> ability to edit the kernel parameters while booting.
> IIRC lilo won't allow you that.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Security.html

Lilo has a similar password feature, but no distribution I've used had
lilo passwords enabled by default.  For rationale, it's just obnoxious
when you finally need to boot to single user, and you get asked for a
password that you haven't used since you installed the box.

Øystein
--
This message was generated by a flock of happy penguins.