Ubuntu development - joining...

Tim Hull thully at umich.edu
Sat Nov 3 21:42:44 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have been generally lurking around Ubuntu development for several months
now (since about the Feisty release), and previously had done the same
around the Warty/Hoary time period.  Though I have found Ubuntu to be
superior to other Linux distributions (save for maybe Debian, except that it
doesn't release often enough), I still have noticed many issues that have
stood out like an eyesore - especially when it comes to laptops and
multimedia.  I want Ubuntu/Linux to be a more viable alternative to Windows,
and it really seems like some improvements are needed in these areas
especially if Ubuntu is to take the next step.

Anyway, stemming from the issues I've been having, I've been quite
interested in becoming involved in Ubuntu development.  However, so far, my
attempts have seemed futile.  For one thing, I noticed a few bugs several
weeks before Gutsy release - and posted detailed information (and in one
case, even a patch) but never got a response.  I keep gathering more
information and updating said bugs, but they remain unnoticed no matter what
I do.  Also, from what I gathered, there is no simple way to become a
*developer* - yes, there is MOTU, but 97% of the issues I'm finding and am
concerned about deal with the main system, not the universe.  I've also
looked for any kind of "laptop team" and these seem basically nonexistent
save for a couple dead mailing lists and a couple contacts that I've had no
luck with.

Does anybody have any pointers for me?  Would it be a good idea to try to
become an "Ubuntu member" and/or join the QA team at this point?  Would this
make it easier to get my bugs/patches noticed?  I want to become involved,
but as it stands it seems like I'm piping my efforts to /dev/null :)

Please get back to me...

Tim

P.S. Some of the bugs in question include #151016, #137598, #147883, #63543
(reopened recently), #137792, and #141001.  I didn't file all of these, but
I did reproduce them all and see a likely cause in most of the cases...