Draining the font swamp

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Mon May 21 15:18:28 UTC 2007

On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 10:52:46AM -0400, Phillip Susi wrote:

> 3)  Performance suffers.  The X server is in the best position to render
> fonts using any hardware acceleration provided by the video card, and
> allows for those fonts to be shared by all applications, reducing
> duplication and waste.  Also for remote X sessions, you want the fonts
> rendered on the server so much less data needs exchanged between the
> client and server.

Measurements have shown that over pretty much any sort of common
network, latency is more of a problem than bandwidth. Server-side fonts
require multiple round-trips between the server and the client for
rendering, whereas client-side fonts only require the initial display.
Performance-wise, we have the XRender extension for precisely this sort
of situation.

> Other than the fact that the client side implementations have advanced
> beyond the X server ones in recent times, is there any advantage to
> client side font rendering over server side?  If not, then we should
> push to bring the client side advancements back into the server where
> font rendering belongs.

Font choice and layout is hard, and doesn't become any easier just
because you've moved that code to a binary that runs as root. Nobody is
going to argue in favour of putting a layout engine like Pango in the X
server, and most of the rest of the stack is similarly well outside the
scope of the X server. The client-side font revolution happened 5 years
ago, and we've ended up with massively improved font support as a
result.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org