RFC: alias tar="tar --backup" ?

Micah Cowan micahcowan at ubuntu.com
Thu May 17 22:18:07 UTC 2007

A user, timothy, describing his difficulties at:

describes his frustration as a new user, in discovering the hard way
that tar's default is to overwrite existing files, causing him to lose
important data.

While I'm opposed to fixing the problem in tar itself, as traditional
usage frequently relies upon this behavior, I don't see why we couldn't
make the experience of using tar interactively a little safer, by
providing a default alias for tar in /etc/skel/.bashrc that backs-up
existing files.

Comments?

--
Micah J. Cowan