Putting security-based applications as a separate menu entry rather than in Accessories

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu May 17 09:14:42 UTC 2007

On Thu, May 17, 2007 at 12:49:50AM +0530, shirish wrote:
> Hi all,
>      What do you guys think of putting things like keyring manager,
> GPA (GNU Privacy Assistant), Seahorse, and other security-based
> softwares in a separate menu entry titled Security where all
> security-based tools including tools for SELinux are there.I know you
> guys don't like big menus but I feel it would be a good idea to have
> that. Please lemme know what you guys think about that?

We prefer to be aligned with the freedesktop.org standard for desktop menus:

http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

This lists security as an additional category, but not a main category used
to display applications in the menu.  Perhaps you could make this suggestion
on the appropriate fd.o list and see what they say?

--
 - mdz