libgimme and libwps

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Tue Mar 27 22:22:16 UTC 2007

Op dinsdag 27-03-2007 om 13:56 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Matt
Zimmerman:
> On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 11:40:18AM +0100, Sebastian Heinlein wrote:
> > Am Samstag, den 24.03.2007, 02:15 -0600 schrieb Conrad Knauer:
> > > Just out of curiosity, I note in the beta that it tries to find codecs
> > > *without* libgimme installed...  and further that its not the
> > > dependency of anything anymore; what is it still there for? :)
> >
> > gstreamer provides this feature.
>
> I think he was asking why the package is still in the archive if it's
> obsolete, which is a good question.

I think support for something like libgimme would be useful for many
applications?  It's much easier if a program that knows about extended
functionality of itself by installing a plugin or extra tool can just
call a library to start the installation proces for the package that
provides those.  (This could also replace the installation functionality
in the "Shared Folders" applet and the ntpd-install stuff in the
date/time applet.)

--
Jan Claeys