Looking for mentor for Google SoC idea - application start prefetching

Matthias Klose doko at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 23 14:47:53 UTC 2007

Krzysztof Lichota schrieb:
> I am looking for mentor in Ubuntu team for my Google Summer of Code idea
> - "Automatic boot and application start file prefetching".
>
> Abstract:
> I would like to concentrate on delivering prefetching solution for
> everyday use by casual users, leveraging prior solutions where
> appropriate and providing missing parts of complete and automatic
> prefetching:
>
> - Hook into application startup for analysis and prefetching.
> - Add lightweight tracing solution for booting and application startup.
> - Add offline tool to change layout of files on disk for faster prefetching.
> - Add prefetching of filesystem metadata.
>
> Implementation will be concentrated on most important parts (subject to
> analysis of benefit and implementation complexity) with the main goal to
> deliver working automatic solution at the end of project, leaving less
> obvious benefits as secondary goals. Filesystem specific parts will be
> done for ext3 as default file system in Ubuntu and most often used for
> desktops.
>
> Full text of application:
> http://www.mimuw.edu.pl/~lichota/soc2007-prefetch/application.html

Please could you write down the project idea in a wiki page at wiki.ubuntu.com?
Use the SpecTemplate for the page. If you didn't already apply (see [1]), then
please do so before Mar 26. Evaluation and ranking of the submitted projects
will start next week.

  Matthias

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GoogleSoC2007/Students