SPEC: Support existing dirty flag on a (v)FAT file system

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Tue Mar 20 20:56:44 UTC 2007

On 21/03/07 03:32, Mike Fedyk wrote:
> Onno Benschop wrote:
>> As more and more users have access to USB sticks, external drives,
>> digital cameras and larger drives that co-exist with other operating
>> systems, dosfstools needs to participate in the existing file system
>> integrity procedures, rather than just fix every (v)FAT partition it
>> encounters.
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SpecificationDosDirtyFlag
>
> It is not mentioned, but I assume you intend to support the standard
> flags to check a filesystem even if the dirty flag is not set.  Is
> that right?
That is indeed the intent. It exists in the spec under Implementation,
but I concede the wording could do with some work:

    A flag should be created to force a check on a clean file system for
    command line use.

--
Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S31°54'06" - E115°50'39" (Yokine, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..