Tablet PC and Summer of Code

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 16:54:34 UTC 2007

On 3/19/07, Charlotte Curtis <curtisc at uoguelph.ca> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm interested in submitting a proposal for Ubuntu through Google's summer
> of code.  Basically, I'd like to make Ubuntu better for Tablet PC use, and I
> thought I'd see if anyone has any comments on the idea.  There aren't very
> many tablet users out there, but we're pretty much limited to using Windows,
> as there isn't really a decent handwriting recognition/input program, or
> Onenote equivalent in Linux.  I know about PenReader, but it isn't open
> source (and if the web demo is anything to go by, it doesn't actually seem
> to work).  There are a few journal type programs (xournal, gournal, jarnal),
> but they could be improved as well.  Basically, I'd like to know what you
> guys think - is it a project that would interest many people?  What aspect
> needs the most improvement to make Ubuntu more tablet-friendly?  Thanks,
>
> Charlotte

That sort of thing would rock. However, I would choose a single aspect
of the project, see what people are doing in other distros and make
certain not to duplicate their effort. Here are several discrete
pieces I could see:

1. Improvement of tablet apps. I would love to see Tomboy support
drawing via a canvas
2. Autoconfig of X (when turning, etc.)

I have also cc'ed the -devel-discuss list, where further discussion
shoudl probably take place.

Corey