Hello + laptop hotkeys

yelo_3 yelo_3 at yahoo.it
Mon Mar 19 09:46:08 UTC 2007

Hello, I'm a new ubuntu-deve-discuss user, I've just signed in.
My name is Nicolò, I'm from Italy and I'm graduated at informatics engineering.
I own an asus laptop and I run ubuntu on it. I've been using ubuntu since a lot of time, and I think that it is great.

My request goes to the acpi-support maintainers to update the support for laptop hotkeys:
the first problem (the most important one) is about the wireless acpi handler, located in /etc/acpi/wireless.sh. In the previous versions of ubuntu, the wireless hotkey used to work. Now it does not work anymore, because it relays  on a deprecated kernel api which is now disabled. (the api used to manipulate the /sys/class/net/*/device/power/state file).

The idea is to write another handler for the wireless button, using another method to control the card status. I know that my wireless card has a similar method (the file rf_kill) but I'm not sure that every card driver is supposed to have this file. So I wrote a bash library to support this file, but I won't attach it because it is not general.

I've notices, looking at network-manager dbus api, the method "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.setWirelessEnabled" which unfortunately is not capable to switch wireless off, but at least prevents nm to connect to wireless (although it does not disable the list of networks in the applet).

So the question is: is there now a unified method to control wireless power?

if so, I will try to write a simple library to control it, to be included in the acpi-support package, and I will propose it to you to see if it can be accepted.

Thank you.

Nicolò