Release notes should warn against installing Ubuntu on old machines

Sitsofe Wheeler sitsofe at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 7 08:21:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 00:27 -0500, Michael R. Head wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 16:09 +1100, David Dean wrote:
> > From memory the "old" way to deal with this was to create a tiny slice
> > at the start of the disk, and install boot there - whether the user
>
> This was the so called "/boot" partition. Useful for working around
> hardware deficiencies.
>
> Works great until you 2 or 3 2.6 kernels installed (which is entirely
> possible if you get a kernel security update or two). That 10MB will
> quickly be overcome and cause bizarre package installation failures,

That's why in this case I am not asking for a /boot partition to be
created (Fedora has a 100MB /boot and manages this by deleting all but
the currently running kernel when a new kernel is installed). See
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub-installer/+bug/9006 for that
request.

We are too late into Feisty's testing period for such invasive change.
The best we can hop for now is to warn people about potential problems
as soon as possible.

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/