Webmin replacement

Arwyn Hainsworth arwynh+ubuntu at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 05:51:24 UTC 2007

On 07/03/07, George Farris <farrisg at cc.mala.bc.ca> wrote:
> At some point there was a discussion about using Webmin or replacing it,
> has there been any discussion about this?  Is Ubuntu recommending
> something else or some other framework?

There have been several discussions where webmin popped up. From a
server team member's post I gather that not only has it been dropped
from the repository, but it has been stabbed, chopped, beaten with a
heavy blunt object, burned and had it's ashes scattered to the five
corners of the Earth. Rumour has it that a few server team members
sleep with a stake under their pillow, just in case it comes back.

On a more serious note, there are currently no recommendations I know
of for remote server administration (excluding trusty old SSH).

The last discussion about a remote administration framework was
started my me, I even wrote a Spec[1]. It ended with me finding
someone[2] working on something similar to what I had in mind. Just
checking the sites again now reveals that their plans might of been a
bit different from what I was thinking of, so I might start trying to
implement that spec myself. My time is a bit limited however, so no
promises.

Arwyn

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/remote-administration-server
[2] http://dev.osso.nl/herman/blog/category/development/