More Ubuntu Wallpapers

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 01:46:53 UTC 2007

On 3/5/07, Alec Wright <alecjw at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I've been wandering recently, why doesn't Ubuntu come with more
> wallpapers? It currently only comes with three wallpapers, all of which
> are made on the computer; whereas Windows XP comes with lots of very
> nice wallpapers, including actual photos. For those who don't know what
> I'm talking about, here are a few examples (I home Microsoft don't hunt
> me down for this):
> http://img400.imageshack.us/my.php?image=autumnbi1.jpg
> http://img460.imageshack.us/my.php?image=azuldd6.jpg
> http://img507.imageshack.us/my.php?image=stonehengegj9.jpg
> http://img460.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tulipsvy3.jpg
> http://img460.imageshack.us/my.php?image=blissai9.jpg
>
> I am aware that because Ubuntu is free and open source, it would not be
> possible to hire professional photographers, but I expect that there
> would be some people in the Ubuntu community willing to "donate" photos
> which they have taken to Ubuntu. For example, if you went on holiday and
> took a picture of an important landmark, and the photo looked
> professional, the photo could be considered for inclusion in Ubuntu as a
> desktop background, if the photographer was willing to publish it under
> an appropriate license.
>
> An obvious way of getting pictures form photographer to developer is via
> art.ubuntu.com. The higher rated user uploaded photos should be
> considered by the developers for inclusion in Ubuntu.

by the way, the photographer who took some of the background pictures
used  for Vista put some of the pictures that didn't make the cut into
Vista on his web site.

   http://www.hamaddarwish.com/

That could be a nice PR move by Canonical to ask him to do a
photoshoot for a future version of Ubuntu :)

--
Daniel Robitaille