Herd 3/4/5 Testing Result (one show stopper bug)

Matt Galvin mgalvin at ubuntu.com
Sat Mar 3 22:46:46 UTC 2007

Hi,

Apologies if this seems forward, I simply want to ensure the
developers are aware of a potential show stopper bug that has affected
myself, one other person and very likely others.

I usually track the bleeding edge and always have the latest dev
release on my desktop machine. A little over a month ago I was forced
back onto edgy due to a bug that completely prevents GNOME (and
seemingly KDE as well although it didn't investigate as thoroughly
with Kubuntu) from starting. This results in a completely unusable
desktop. The bug in question is:

feisty dbus/avahi crash... causes gnome to not start. -
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dbus/+bug/88252

The issue has something to do dbus, hal and or avahi. I'm not entirely
sure. This happens to me on both i386 and amd64. This issue appears to
be limited to certain hardware in some way since feisty does work for
most people.

Again, apologies for raising the issue here. I have only done so since
the bug has not had any developer input since it was opened and since
it is a show stopper for at least myself a one other person. I simply
want to ensure that a critical issue is at least known. Please let me
know if I can help in any way to resolve the issue.

Best,

Matt