using reportbug & reportbug-ng for reporting bugs upstream to debian

shirish shirishag75 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 17:51:41 UTC 2007

On 6/16/07, Sarah Hobbs <hobbsee at kubuntu.org> wrote:

> shirish wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >      I've been reporting bugs for a while & reporting upstream bugs at
> > times when it was necessary. Sometime back I was introduced to
> > reprortbug & although it is a very good tool it seems something is
> > amiss. So lemme make some points & please lemme know how we can
> > contribute to having things done in a better way.  The idea is also to
> > make a help document after I get all the answers.
> >       Now like some users I don't want to use an  MTA  to send &
> > receive bug -reports.  I am using gutsy & reportbug v. 3.38ubuntu2
> >
> > Now the configuration file at /etc/reportbug.conf is something very
> > interesting & I am sure has the answers to quite few questions.
>
> So does the manpage.  Try man reportbug.

 Will try to understand the things.

> > # You can also specify a port other than 25
> > smtphost fiordland.ubuntu.com
> >
> > # Username and password for SMTP
> > # smtpuser bob
> > # smtppasswd XXX
> >
> > # Use TLS encryption.
> > # smtptls
> >
> >  Lemme mention that Ms. Sarah Hobbes had been very helpful in her own
> > capacity to help me & did the update but some things are still
> > missing.
>
> Please learn to spell my name correctly. And don't make me look like an
> idiot, because you didn't understand what I was telling you.
> Repeatedly.  The other people in the channel appeared to understand it.

Sarah Hobsee,
      I wasn't trying to make you look like an idiot, if if makes you
happy I am the idiot eternally. The point being I had to do the things
I had to, in order to understand them. It was like you pointing to the
moon while I was looking at the sun. Not your fault. just I was
mis-interpreting it the whole time. Perhaps a part might be that I'm
not a native english speaking person & do commit mistakes . Only being
human.   You are pretty smart but the downside is you have to deal
with idiot guys like me all the time :(

> > Now while the smtphost thing is cool, what would be the username &
> > password, does it need any filling in.
>
> It doesn't need it.  That's why I didn't add it.

    Thanx for letting that on.
> > Below is a conversation between reportbug & me. Help me if we can find
> > a suitable way to successfully send it to its home doing a cc at
> > bugs at launchpad.net (don't know if filing bugs through email is yet
> > possible or its a todo thing? )
>
> It's possible, reportbug should really be made compatible with the
> current emailing bugs to malone - which requires gpg signing and such.
> For more information, see https://help.launchpad.net/UsingMaloneEmail

 Will surely see it.

> >  reportbug
> > Please enter the name of the package in which you have found a problem.
> >> pidgin
> > *** Welcome to reportbug.  Use ? for help at prompts. ***
> > Detected character set: UTF-8
> > Please change your locale if this is incorrect.
> >
> > Using 'shirishag75 <shirishag75 at ubuntu.com>' as your from address.
>
> This is because you did not set your email address in DEBEMAIL, etc.
> man reportbug would tell you about a *lot* of these options, and tends
> to save people looking like fools.  Not saying that you are one - it's a
> generic comment.

 while you are right, but I still need to make a connection, atleast for me
it might not be the whole answer will need to investigate further how
I can use it better.

> >  Now is this correct or not? https://launchpad.net/~shirishag75  that's me.
>
> It doesn't check. Downloading a copy of every single user on launchpad,
> with all their info, and updating it each time you're going to file a
> report is clearly unfeasible.  I guess it could let you specify your
> launchpad ID, and look it up from there - however, it's easier just to
> specify it in the configuration file.  Again, man reportbug tells you
> all of this, explained very clearly.

Sarah,
        the manuals  are not the most newbie-friendly document but as
said before will try.

> > Getting status for pidgin...
> > Verifying package integrity...
> > Will send report to Ubuntu (per request).
> > Maintainer for pidgin is 'Ubuntu Core Developers
> > <ubuntu-devel at lists.ubuntu.com>'.
> > Looking up dependencies of pidgin...
>
> <snip>
> > Please select tags: (one at a time) [none]
> > Spawning sensible-editor...
> > Report will be sent to "Ubuntu Bug Tracking System"
> > <ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
> > Submit this report on pidgin (e to edit) [Y|n|a|c|e|i|l|m|p|q|?]? Y
> > Connecting to bugs.debian.org via SMTP...
> > SMTP send failure: {'ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com': (550, 'relay not
> > permitted')}
> > Wrote bug report to /tmp/reportbug-pidgin-20070616-5078-jgeAxU
> >
> > Ok I remember something of this sort also happening an another time.
> > Can this be fixed in a short time? The other way is just to use
> > reportbug to make a nice bug-report & then use gmail to send it.
> >
> You need to actually be a part of ubuntu-members to be able to use this
> tool, and be using the email address on launchpad.  Last I knew, that
> was the case (as we use it for requestsync too).  You're free to use
> your ISP SMTP server, which obviously will not be able to be pre-filled.
>  At least this way, all of the ubuntu members can use this without
> modification, if they've set DEBEMAIL and such.  If you've got a MTA
> installed and configured, it appears that reportbug uses that instead.

ubuntu-members, didn't know about this part. Again will need further
investigation and which means the documentation would also have to be
updated (in the wiki) as & when I do understand it. As we talked
earlier in the day the best way would be to be able to post the mail
to debian bugs without using an MTA (if possible) . I was thinking of
reportbug as same or similar tool like apport is which is a
bug-reporter & a mailer (kinda) at the same time. So being the fool
I'm I'll like to see if this can be done.

> > Another thing, there is also a better-looking tool called
> > reportbug-ng, the only thing is it has a very sparse configuration
> > file known as .reportbugng
>
> This we sync straight from debian.  There are no current plans to change
> this, unless someone steps up to do the work.

 Actually I mailed/talked with the author & maintainer of reportbug-ng & he
is open to suggestions but he needs the reasoning & logic of what we
want to go alongwith it & he'll decide if its worth doing the thing.

> > Now are there any options or stuff we want by default to be there, I
> > have opened a bug-report  at
> > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=429235 , if anything
> > comes to your mind which would improve our communication with them
> > using the tool please do so either there or on the mailing list or
> > off-list, either way is preferable to me.
> >
> > Looking forward to your valuable inputs on this.
>
> I'm sure I'll calm down soon enough.

Ah good, its nice to have some healthy tension sometime ;P

> Hobbsee

Cheers & god day to you too :)
--
          Shirish Agarwal

065C 6D79 A68C E7EA 52B3  8D70 950D 53FB 729A 8B17