Single CD for Server & Desktop?

Kevin Fries kfries at cctus.com
Mon Jul 30 15:04:00 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-28 at 18:34 -0400, Bryan Haskins wrote:
> Yea, server isn't just a subset of desktop, as it installs minimal and
> a LAMP setup, so it would significantly bump up the size. We're
> pushing clooooose to 700mb now. Plus most users would have no use in
> this. It would only be convenient enough for the people who could
> handle a server and downloading a new ISO... plus a liveCD for a
> server install would just be silly =D

In the single case you are correct.  But in CORPORATE you could not be
more wrong!  A single CD would actually be preferable.

Actually, what would be ideal in the corporate or business environments
would be a very minimal install with all updates coming from a central
repository (i.e. not from the CD).  Something similar to the old Debian
or RedHat FTP based install.

I think what would serve the OPs original request, and could be a great
asset to businesses large and small would be a setup such as this:

     You first install a server on your network.  Add another
     option to the install along side the DNS and LAMP options
     for Domain Master.  The domain master would install LDAP
     as the central user store; GOsa for user management;
     apt-cacher for package management; ssh server, and create
     an install user w/ssh key authentication; and a program to
     create a basic USB key used to install clients.  Then use
     that key (complete with the server's ssh keys) to initiate
     an install off the server.  Or, as an alternative, have
     the CD ask on boot if this is a server or client install
     (though I like the key idea much better).  Call this distro
     the Corporate Edition.

One media to keep up to date!  Also, it could be further extended with
the use of kickstart to create multiple install types (Install program
contacts server via ssh; home directory of install user has a list of
kickstart files; install program offers list of predefined install
types; option for a roll your own would be a configuration item).  And
best of all, it would be a great way of chipping away at bug #1.  Try
installing that easily in Windows even with SMS, lol.

Just my $0.02

--
Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer