About XDG specification implementation in Gutsy

Christopher James Halse Rogers chalserogers at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 01:19:27 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-14 at 02:51 +0200, Ouattara Oumar Aziz (alias wattazoum)
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am very happy to see that Gutsy started to implement the XDG
> specification. That makes a cleaner and more usable desktop. But is it
> decide to implement the whole specification :
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html
>
> In the specification there is some env vars to get where the software
> should set there conf files and their datas. But I don't have those vars
> in Gutsy. Should I anyway develop my software to be compliant to it
> (meaning that they will be implemented ) or should I continue the old way ?

You'll notice from that spec that if the environment variables are unset
then your app should use the default dirs instead.  Thus, for example,
config should go in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/appname, or ~/.config/appname if
that variable is unset.

There's no need for Ubuntu to set that environment explicitly; the
defaults should be good for most people.

Chris Halse Rogers