UDEV vs. HAL responsability

Paul Dufresne dufresnep at fastmail.fm
Wed Jul 4 20:27:38 UTC 2007

I feel like opening a flame war.
Basically, the question that come to my mind is about
/etc/udev/rules.d/45-libgphoto2.rules .
I am not even sure but I think most entries in there is making in sort
that camera devices
get mounted automatically.

And that it requires to add a line for any known camera devices.
Would it be possible to do the same with HAL?
Actually, I am just beginning to read about HAL at:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/hal more specifically at:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/hal-spec/hal-spec.html#device-properties-info-callouts

I feel that using HAL would be more appropriate, as it would use HAL
database rather than reinvent
a new hardware database. Also, it make it easier to port Ubuntu to a
non-Linux OS.
But I am just beginning to understand what UDEV and HAL are about, so I
am opening the
discussion here to more knowledgeable than me.

I sure feel that if the answer is not obvious or require many changes,
than obviously a new
specification should be written. But on the other hand, maybe this have
been really discussed
and decided.

The general question is what is/can/should be made by HAL, and what
is/can/should be made
by UDEV?