New feature: zeroconf networking by default, please test

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 12 09:42:27 UTC 2007

Hi David,

sorry for the delay.

David Prieto [2006-12-19  8:53 +0100]:
> > > Yesterday, the remaining bits of the "Zero-configuration networking"
> > > specification made their way to the archive and await hordes of fans,
> > > happy users, and of course, bug reports.
>
> I believe that this has caused a very weird bug in my computer, where NM
> was telling me that I was connected to the net, but then it was not
> really working: the browser couldn't open pages, evo couldn't fetch my
> mails... please, find the details and how I solved it in this thread in
> Ubuntuforums:

The thread does not mention any solution -- what did you do to make it
work?

I see two problem sources:

 * You can connect to the internet using IP addresses, but not DNS
   names. Please do 'ping 141.76.2.1' and see whether you get any
   replies. If you do, then something is wrong with nss-mdns
   (please file a bug against that package then).

 * You cannot even ping IP addresses, then you either did not get a
   DHCP response or the routing is wrong. Please send the output of
   'ifconfig' and 'route' (if that hangs, please use 'route -n').

Thank you!

Pitti
--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de