Activating the CUPS snmp backend in Ubuntu Feisty

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at mikefedyk.com
Wed Feb 28 21:54:55 UTC 2007

Till Kamppeter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> on the IRC I talked with pitti about activating the CUPS backends which
> were de-activated by Debian by moving them into
> /usr/lib/cups/backend-available. The three de-activated backends are
> serial, scsi and snmp.

How does this relate to using avahi for printer discovery?  Are there
any other systems that use snmp for printer discovery where using snmp
will make them "just work" also?

If the snmp backend for cups does get activated, Feisty is probably
better than Feisty+1 LTS because we probably don't want to add a lot of
new features in a LTS release cycle.  Instead focus should be on bug
fixing and polish instead of new features.

Speaking of that, what does everyone think of making it policy to
feature freeze during *all* LTS release cycles?  This way new features
are only developed in non-LTS releases and have more time to mature
before the next LTS release.

Mike