More explicit names for iso images ?

john levin john at technolalia.org
Fri Feb 23 16:08:03 GMT 2007

Laurent wrote:
>       Hello
>

>    Now, every iso files of feisty (for instance) are named
> feisty-desktop-i386.iso.
>     This is the same name for Ubuntu Herd-3 and Kubuntu Herd-4.
>
>     I think that names should be more explicit. As for example
> herd3-desktop-i386.iso
> and
> kherd4-desktop.i386.iso.
>     The name should completely determines the nature of the software.

+1, it's a problem I've just run into.

Have you filed a bug report?

Incidentally, Canonical provide 4 distro-flavours of the isos:
Ubuntu, Kubuntu, as mentioned above, but also Edubuntu and Xubuntu
All are named feisty-desktop/alternate/etc, and all should be easily
distinguishable from one another.

John Levin