Allowing passwordless login via GDM

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Thu Feb 22 19:05:25 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 08:29 -0800, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
>  So the kids just had to turn on the computer, and
> within a minute they were in their user session without any
> interactions.

But what happens if they press a key on the keyboard by accident? I
think gdm will just wait there for them to type in the username.

I agree that it's convenient for this situation (it's how I have my
Dad's, sister's and fiance's computers set up), but it's not quite ideal
when compared to the solution available on Windows.

Another use case is that I have a "DDR" account that just runs pydance
(or perhaps a mythtv frontend). My preference is that a casual visitor
should be able to come by, click the DDR user's icon and play. The
current solution is to simply make the account's password be the same as
its username.

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
http://www.suppressingfire.org/~burner/