Allowing passwordless login via GDM

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at ubuntu.com
Thu Feb 22 16:29:32 UTC 2007

On 2/22/07, Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> wrote:
> On do, 2007-02-22 at 15:54 +0100, Ouattara Oumar Aziz wrote:
> > Should we do the same mistakes as in windows ? I think having a
> > password is better cause we should teach people about security
> > measures. and that gdm password thing's a pretty simple thing but
> > means a lot.
>
> True, but I see at least one exception: young children don't know how to
> enter a username & password.  OTOH they don't need administrator (sudo)
> rights of course...

what I did in that situation was to have the young kids account
autologin without  a password after 20sec via gdm.  That account
obviously didn't have any admin rights.  If a grown up wanted to login
into their own account, they had 20 secs to do it after the machine
booted into gdm, or via the fast-user-switch-applet from within the
kids session.  So the kids just had to turn on the computer, and
within a minute they were in their user session without any
interactions.  With the appropriate icons setup in the panel or in the
desktop, they will all ready to go to play, even if they don't know
how to read.

But kids can learn pretty easily about username/password   And by the
time they know how to read and type my experience is that they will
use the password method rather easily.  I known that my oldest son,
once I created his first own user account and password, was pretty
excited to have his own like his parents.  His password is still a bit
weak, but we'll work on this later on :)

--
Daniel Robitaille