fsck on boot is major usability issue

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Dec 21 08:37:35 UTC 2007

Hi,

Jonathan Musther [2007-12-21  9:16 +1300]:
>   I'm new to this list, I joined it because I saw in the archive that
> recently you were discussing the problem with running fsck on boot as a
> 'just in case' filesystem check.

We quickly discussed this at the last UDS. Most people were not in
favor of dropping the check completely, since occasionally, things
just go wrong, and you never notice until you actually run a check.

We proposed some changes in [1] to alleviate this:

 * Make the boot-time check interruptible if the file system was
   clean, and print out a message when a check happens (otherwise the
   user does not know at all what's going on).

 * Offer some 'check now'/'check at next boot' (depending on whether
   the partition is currently mounted) buttons in the drive properties
   in the UI.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Specs/PartitionManagement

Martin
--