Encrypted volume interaction with Windows...

Fabian Rodriguez magicfab at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 17 17:35:16 UTC 2007

John Richard Moser wrote:
> In Gutsy, the alternate installer can now create encrypted LVM layouts
> (but with no fancy manipulation tools...).  I am now curious about
> interoperability with Windows for encrypted external drives.
>
> External hard disks and flash drives using NTFS or FAT32 work in Linux
> or Windows now.  The FreeOTFE program allows Windows to access a LUKS
> partition (NOT LVM) as well.  Logically, it would help users with
> encryption needs to have a tool in GNOME to create LUKS-encrypted USB
> flash or hard drives, and request/change the key (file?  Or just
> password?) when gnome-volume-manager detects them.
>
> I think this would be very interesting to users sharing private data
> between Windows and Linux.  Truecrypt is a pain (all command line
> stuff), and Linux supports LUKS anyway.  With LUKS on Linux and FreeOTFE
> accessing the LUKS partitions on Windows, users can easily share data
> via removable drives.

Accoding to their website, Explore2fs supports LVM2:
http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs

Once LVM2 is accessible/readable, then you need to setup the additional
layer of tool(s) for enc/decryption of the volume. I am not familiar
with the newer encrypted LVM layouts but I thought this may be the right
path to follow.

Let us know what you find out.

Cheers,

Fabian