GParted installed by default?

Jonas Jørgensen jj at qio.dk
Mon Dec 3 14:57:41 UTC 2007

I would like to ask whether it has been considered to make GParted
part of the default desktop install, and if so what the reasons were
for not including it. I would consider partition editing a basic
feature that should be provided by the operating system and not as an
add-on program. The fact that the menu entry installs into
System->Administration rather than the Applications menu proves this
point, I think. Think of the case of a non-technical Ubuntu user
asking their geek friend (who is not familiar with Ubuntu) for help
adding a new hard disk to their computer: The friend would be able to
find it in System->Administration and set up the drive, but might not
know where to look for a partition editing program, or the computer
might not be connected to the internet at the time, and having to
choose between different partition editors to install seems a bit
silly in somewhat the same way that having to choose between different
device managers or display configuration tools might, IMO.

Thoughts?

--
Jonas