wxwidgets for Ubuntu 7.10

Chris Warburton chriswarbo at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 18 14:38:24 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-08-18 at 19:00 +0530, shirish wrote:
> Now while I don't know others , I know  for sure that it needs
> wxwidgets 2.8 for sure, so all those 2.6 wouldn't work. The svn client
> of boinc is 5.11.0 & therein lies the issue :(

The build-dep command looks at the source package of whatever is
specified and then tries to install all of the packages needed to build
it. Whilst this should ensure that building the Ubuntu version will work
(if not then that is a bug) it is usually a good starting point for
getting dependancies of different versions. If a newer version of
wxwidgets is needed, and that won't build, then you could try running
apt-get build-dep for wxwidgets as well, since that should install
most/all of the packages needed to build wxwidgets.

Using unpackaged software can be a bit of a nightmare like this, so you
might want to suggest the newer version to be packaged (I am not sure of
the policy on this, it may be to file a bug in Launchpad, but I'm sure
someone will reply with the right way to go about requesting it).

> Another thing, let's see I try the above command & it messes up my
> stuff, is there anyway to uninstall the build-dep of the above
> command?

Not automatically, but you can always copy into a text file the list of
package names it says it is going to install (select the text>right
click>copy), then if it doesn't work you can remove the packages shown
in the text file manually from a package manager like Synaptic or
aptitude.

Another note, if you are going to install source code then I would
recommend going in a package manaer and installing the package
checkinstall, then when you are about to run the step "sudo make
install" to install the source code you can instead run "sudo
checkinstall". This will make and install an Ubuntu package of the
source code, which means you can remove it easily later and things
(running "sudo make install" just copies files around on your drive, not
really keeping track of it which can make uninstalling it a pain)

As a final note, what features are in the SVN version that you prefer to
the version already packaged and working in Ubuntu? I'm running the
Ubuntu package on 4 machines and don't need to go through any of this
trouble, I just installed the boinc-client and boinc-manager packages
from the Synaptic Package Manager.

Cheers,
Chris