Announcement: One Click Installer

Jerome Haltom wasabi at larvalstage.net
Wed Aug 8 19:16:31 UTC 2007

This is 90% a political problem. In the case of Firefox, you need to to
have Firefox upstream "support" Ubuntu in the same way they "support"
Windows: Create a proper Ubuntu compliant installer (.deb) file, provide
proper documentation on how to run it (double click).

To do this, upstream has to care enough. The task is then to make them
care enough.

When I wrote ThirdPartyApt, I was thinking more about companies like
VMware, who would not likely desire to be beholden to Ubuntu's release
schedule, but would still like to support VMware on Ubuntu as a
first-class citizen. That is, putting VMware in Canonical's repositories
is a non-starter. They won't play by our 6 month rules. But having a
button on their web site "Install VMware Workstation 6 for Ubuntu!"
might be attractive.

Again, political.