Announcement: One Click Installer

Scott Kitterman ubuntu at kitterman.com
Tue Aug 7 22:33:47 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 07 August 2007 18:23, Krzysztof Lichota wrote:
> Scott Kitterman napisaƂ(a):
> > OK, so for a Debian system, where do the.debs come from that One Click is
> > needed for?
>
> The debs are already in repositories. It is about giving users easy
> access to them.
>
> > This is the part that keeps confusing me.  You seem to think if
> > installing were just easier, people would install more stuff (probably
> > true), but I think the real limiting factor is getting the stuff properly
> > packaged.
>
> Try reading forum posts or the Scribus page I have mentioned
> (http://www.scribus.net/index.php?name=Sections&req=viewarticle&artid=4&pag
>e=1). They are full of descriptions how to add repository, how to add key,
> etc. Repeated all over again. And in many cases they go to most common
> denominator (modifying /etc/apt/sources.list and using apt-key in
> console), because if they describe one application (like Synaptic), then
> user might be using different (like Adept).
>
> Now imagine you are user who wants to install application. And he must
> take so many difficult steps to achieve simple goal - installing
> application.
>
> Or you are an application author which can either depend on his users to
> know how to add repository, or he can create description how to do it
> once again.
>
> This is the problem I am trying to solve.

OK.  That's a different problem then it sounded to me like you were trying to
solve.  That one is, I think, rather more reasonable.  When you talk to me
here about all the wonderful RPMs out there, it sounds to me like you're
trying to re-invent alien, not make it easier to find and install packages
for the distribution's packaging system.

I'll note that another option is for said application author to work with
distributions to get their application into the official/tested repository.

I'll also note that in most cases I've run across when someone brings their
package to Ubuntu, it is not initially up to Ubuntu packaging quality
standards.  In my opinion, moving outside of the distribution's package
repository adds risk that should not be too thoroughly hidden from the user.

Scott K